Wednesday, April 22, 2009

YAY!!!! I START WORKING TODAY!!!

Finally, I get to start working! 9am. Today is a training and paperwork day, but I'm starting the same day as another employee, so we'll get to do it together! And I'll start earning a paycheck! Or as they spell it here...paycheque. ;) Ah, these crazy Canadians, eh? Using all these odd British spellings.

I should mention how I finally got the work permit. At the end of last week, I heard from Detroit (the Canadian consulate closest to my home state where they handle work permits) that they didn't feel they had jurisdiction due to me being in Canada already. But I'd already talked to the Canadian Immigration office and was told to send it back to the US. Catch 22! But---wait, border services is actually the issuer of the permit--can they break this mess open? YES!

So on Monday, I went to the border service office in my new home city (as there is an international airport here, we have a border services office) But they will only do this if you are getting off a plane. UGH!!!!

So on Tuesday...I drove to the US border (about a 2 1/2 hour trip). I got up really early was on the road by 6am, got to the border and started talking about getting the permit at 8:30. (I'm sticking with the time I felt it was--even if the border was using the same time as ND (Central daylight vs Central Standard(or Mountain) time. So after about 45 minutes....I am getting worried. I don't think this officer is going to give me a permit. UGH!!! He suggests I go into the US, get some coffee and a donut and relax for a while then come back across (as I would have to do anyway to get this permit) and we'll talk more then after he makes some calls.

So I do. And I make some calls too. To my employer--to let her know what the officer's problems are and that she may have to go to bat for me if she wants me. :) Which she does. A lot! So when the call came, and she was asked about me....she came through with flying colors! I'm sooooooooo happy! The entire problem boiled down to two things. One: Completed some post-secondary education. To me, to my employer, and as far as I've been able to tell, to everyone else who reads this phrase it means---you have something besides high school under your belt. Whether that is a tech school, some college coursework, or a degree is beside the point. The idea here is just that you have something other than just a high school diploma. The officer chose to interpret it as you have complete a course of study beyond high school and have a degree or certificate showing this. Which I don't. And don't need for this job. So he had to have it explained to him in small words....and he didn't like the fact that it was not his way. The second problem was like the first. Experience: 1-2 yrs in a social service field. He interpreted it to mean 1-2 years in the specific social service field of House supervision! Which is NOT what was intended. The experience part was just so you don't come into the job thinking it would be easy. The employer wanted candidates to 1: be a little bit older (hence the experience part so they don't get 18-20 year olds applying) and 2: wanted candidates who had worked with developmentally (intellectually is the word used up here) disabled people before. Which I have! so....anyway...back to the border.

While waiting for word back from employer and Service Canada (kind of an overall, umbrella gov't regulation/assistance organization), the officer decided to get really picky. He brought out the job listed and required me to play show and tell at how I met each and every criteria listed. EEK!!!! Thank God I had brought with me my training schedule from my last job, my resume, my letter of recommendation from my last employer, some of my training certificates, my background checks done in US, my CPR certification. But there were 3 things he was still harping on on the list 1) creativity (I started to wish I had brought my beading, sewing or drawings with me!) but he decided that if I knew how to do these things I was probably a creative person. 2) Cooking skills. Uh, well, I've been a wife(with a husband who didn't cook) and/or lived on my own for 16 years, and I haven't starved. I've cooked for many friends and family and no one has gotten sick. But what about "professional" experience? Well, I worked in a coffee shop for a while, and passed the state health inspection. He actually looked disappointed. Which brought us to number 3) housekeeping skills. UGH!!! What to say...I mean, yes, I know I'm not the neatest person on the planet, but I try and I do tend to keep things clean, if not perfectly neat. I know how to clean a toilet, run a vacuum, do dishes, etc. But what to say about it other than home experience..... OH wait...Way back in college....I was a PCA. (Personal Care Assistant) I did home cleaning there. Some of my clients had perfect minds stuck in imperfect bodies and needed someone to be their arms and legs...so I would make meals, clean house, do the same things this is saying. A reference? Well, if absolutely needed I could try...but that was....16 years ago. And I know at least 2 of the clients have passed away since then. One died while I was still assisting her. :(

So Mr. I don't think you deserve a work permit decides to leave it up to Service Canada (who has already given a positive labour market opinion on me taking this job!) as to whether or not I'm qualified to have it. So I'm waiting in their lobby for about 45 minutes when the phone rings. I can hear the conversation thru the wall...

Officer: Yes this is he.
Yes, I see how you're interpreting that, but...
Yes, I can understand that the employer want her, but.....
No, there is no reason she can't live in Canada, but.......
Fine, I guess that is the answer then.

And then....after another 20 minutes....he comes out of the office and states "Service Canada decided your qualifications are good enough. Your employer was even contacted and spoke on your behalf. So I guess I need to issue you a work permit.

SIGH of RELIEF!!!!

YES!!!!

I'm employed! Oh, wait...I need to get a SIN (social insurance number). Please let it be easier than this.

So another 2 1/2 hrs on the road, then to the Service Canada (told you--umbrella agency) office to get the SIN. Took all of 5 minutes. Walked (in glorious 65 degree spring weather) the 3 blocks to the health insurance office to fill out paperwork to get my health card. So as of yesterday...I have Canadian health insurance. And then found out I could start work...TODAY! YAY!!!!!

No comments: