Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Joy

Easter. It always seems to be a time of celebration. Whether it is an Easter egg hunt, a new dress, a time with family or friends, it is usually a time of joy. Not to mention the reason for all these fun times--the Reason for our joy--the reserection of Jesus.

Easter this year falls close to exactly when it fell 6 years ago. How do I know? Because 6 years ago I was in P'ville (my family's original home) saying a painful goodbye. I went for a week, knowing that there was a possibility that during that time, my mamma (maternal grandma) would leave this world for her heavenly home. And she did. On April 13, 2003. The night before, I had finally said my goodbye. I was booked on a flight to go home the next afternoon, and I knew this would be the last time I had to be alone with her. I cried. I told her how much I loved her, how much I hated seeing her hurting like this, even though she was not speaking and not really with us much. I knew she could hear me. And I told her that it was ok to leave. That I was OK. And the next morning, on Palm Sunday, she was gone.

April 13th is always bit of a bittersweet time for me. On the one hand, it's a time for me to remember a woman who I loved and respected and cared for maybe more than I have anyone else in my life. But it's also a time for me to mourn her leaving this world. I know where she is, I know she is watching over me, I can still feel her love holding me close. And that is why I start feeling Easter joy, knowing that she is in that crowd of heavenly supporters and she is waiting to see me again. And oh, the long talk we will have then. :)

No comments: