Thursday, November 5, 2009

Updates....

So it's been a month since I've written....

Not a huge amount happening in my life. :) It feel nice to say that. No crisises. No drama. No huge worries. I'm almost bored.

But just busy enough that that isn't going to happen anytime soon!

Next week my concert band is going to a neighboring town to play for their Remembrance Day ceremonies. (For the Americans reading this...that's Veteran's Day, but with much more...emphasis. Similar to Memorial Day ceremonies, but only for military) I'm seeing poppies spring up on so many coats. It's amazing to me. I mean, the VFW in the US does give away those cheap red flowers outside malls/stores when you make a donation, but these are really nice looking red poppies that are springing up everywhere I look. It's going to be an odd day for me. I know very few of the songs we're playing (Battle Hymn of the Republic, God Save the Queen (or My Country Tis of Thee), the hymns we're playing.) All the other songs...Canadian patriotic songs. I feel almost foolish when the Director says "Now I know you all know the melody line to this one...It's Maple Leaf Forever" But I have no idea what that sounds like! Oh well. We're going by bus, so that should give me a couple of hours to get to know people a bit better too. :)

We (Pat and I) had about 10 people over for Canadian Thanksgiving. Which is a Monday in October instead of a Thursday in November. It felt a bit strange to be celebrating Thanksgiving so early. I may decide to invite some people over near the end of the month for American Thanksgiving. (Some of the foods are different here too. No green beans topped with onions, no sweet potato pie...but perogies. Which are good too. ;) But I kind of missed the green beans!) So if I do that, it will probably be some of the people from work and band...and I'll be making the green beans and sweet potatoes I'm used to.


I'm off to the last house for work in December/January. Then back to the first house again come February. Hard to believe it's been 7 months since I moved up here! I have the paperwork started for permanent residency. Still have to do an interview with the provincial immigration people. Then hopefully...in 6-9 months....a permanent resident card. :)

I really need to start writing more...I'm thinking now of all these other things I should be writing down about things I've been learning in Canada. So I guess...another post should be coming soon!

No comments: