Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Differences...or why "I" have a an accent!

So I mentioned that I've been once again noticing differences. I think I'll start with pronounciation, move on into spelling and finish with some new vocab. :)

Again--in the upper midwest US it sounds like a-gen (with a hard g as in garbage)
--in Canada it sounds like a-gane, with a long a in the middle of it.

About--US--a bout
--Canada--a bute

Amen--US--ay men
--Canada--ah men

Against--US--a ginst
--Canada--ay gainst
almost any a is pronounced just differently enough for me to stand out.

Spelling...check vs cheque, color vs. colour, honor vs. honour tomato vs tomatoe (oh wait that's in both countries!--lol)

New words--well, this one isn't new, but i hear it a lot more here--queue.
--touque (a stocking cap)


Oh...and a new sport (at least to me, although I've been told there is a pretty good team in MN) Underwater Hockey. :) Yep...play with a puck and a mini stick and snorkeling equipment. Talk about kind of an odd game. And I may even get a chance to try to play it.

No comments: