Friday, November 13, 2009

Rememberance Day

Wednesday here in Canada was Rememberance Day. Yes, I know the US does have Vetran's Day that day too, but there is more...emphisis on the day here in Canada. I think there was this year in the US, due to what happened at Ft. Hood, but this is an every year occurance in Canada. Businesses, schools, some stores close for the day. Almost every community has a service of some kind. And everywhere, things stop at 11am, for two minutes of silence.

I was with my community band on Rememberance Day. We went to a smaller town to play for their ceremony. We started the program as people came in with marches (felt a bit odd for me--no Sousa here!) and old WWI and WWII favorite pop tunes. During the ceremony we played the National Anthem (O, Canada) and the Royal Anthem (God Save the Queen--Which I tend to think of as My Country tis of thee). I'm glad when I'm playing for these...I'm not sure what proper etiqette is...do I stand? Do I sing? Do I stay quiet? I've heard O, Canada enough now that I know the words. I could sing along. It's really a nice melody and the word are pretty good too. (I'll write them out at the bottom of this post for those who want to see them)

We also played several hymns. That felt a bit different. There is no overwelming sense of....religious fervor here in Canada. But a very great strong silent faith. I mentioned on the bus back after the ceremony how different it felt to have so much..religion in a patriotic holiday at a public ceremony (They are called services up here, with good reason as pastors/priests helped organize and led the time!) There were scripture readings, prayers, hymns. Can you imagine (if you are reading this from the states) your local town doing this?

Later that evening I went to a Rememberance Day concert given by a friend's choir. (not a church choir, but a secular, men's vocal group) Again, quite a bit of religious music, poetry and a talk by a local minister. It's really felt a bit odd to me to be part of that. Oddly...my friend noticed I didn't sing with the Anthems (both were sung that night) I don't know the words to "God Save the Queen" and didn't think the words I knew to the tune would be appreciated so I stayed quiet. He seemed to think it's ok if I sing "O, Canada" if i know the words. I really would like to know before the last football game on Nov. 22. If it's ok, I'll sing along then.

The words to O, Canada

O, Canada. Our home and native land. True patriot love in all thy sons command. With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the true north strong and free. From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. God keep our land, glorious and free. O Canada we stand on guard for thee. O Canada we stand on guard for thee.

2 comments:

JT said...

The really ironic part is that the French lyrics to Oh Canada are much more "musical" and fit the melody so much better than the current ("new" & revised) English lyrics, IMHO of course.

If you look at the gov't site: http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a2 it will give you some MP3s in either and both languages along with the history of the Nat'l Anthem (and a bit on God Save the Queen). Note that though the English translation of the French lyrics is accurate, it is not "correct"- the old "people versus computers" discussion if you like.

Yes, I am fully bilingual so can appreciate both version *grin* !

JT

JT said...

The really ironic part is that the French lyrics to Oh Canada are much more "musical" and fit the melody so much better than the current ("new" & revised) English lyrics, IMHO of course.

If you look at the gov't site: http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a2 it will give you some MP3s in either and both languages along with the history of the Nat'l Anthem (and a bit on God Save the Queen). Note that though the English translation of the French lyrics is accurate, it is not "correct"- the old "people versus computers" discussion if you like.

Yes, I am fully bilingual so can appreciate both version *grin* !

JT