Monday, July 6, 2009

What a weekend!

My parents came to visit this past weekend. It was a long couple of days. We were all trying very hard to be nice, but there was a tension there. I know it was partly my fault, but at the same time, I just wish my parents understood how hard it is for me when they treat me as if I were still a young child. They still think if they are wearing a jacket, I should wear one too. And if I tell them I don't want one, they continue to press the issue until either I agree or we are all but yelling at each other. :( It's hard.

And this happens a lot, not just about jackets, but about eating, drinking, going to the bathroom. I even tried to say how much it hurts when they treat me like this, but mom especially just waves it off with " you will always be my little girl". But I'm not a little girl. I'm a grown woman, old enough to have children (even grown ones!--a high school classmate has a 20 year old!) of my own.

I think that is part of the problem. Because I can't have children, in my mom's eyes, I've never grown up. I think having me was the goad that made her grow up and so she feels you have to have a child to be an adult. But I am not going to have a child, so I'm feeling a bit stuck. :(

On the positive side, we did a lot a sightseeing this weekend. Lots of things I've seen a bit of and even more that I'd never seen. It's funny how having out of town company can make you go to place you've meant to go, but not gotten around to. :) So there were some positive things this weekend. It also looks like Pat and I will be getting a house to rent at the end of the month. So I'll have to start packing yet again. But hopefully this will be the last time for a year or two, at least! :)

No comments: