Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Archbishop's visit

Wow! What a church service. I left Church today feeling soooo energized! The Archbishop here is a saintly old gentleman who gave a beautiful homily. Comparing the temple in Jeruselem with our church. One of the things he stressed was the fact that David bought the land for the Temple. It was offered as a gift, but David refused saying that he could not offer a gift to God that cost him nothing. That gifts imply sacrifice and cost. And that we who are now receiving blessing from others sacrifice should be willing to offer our time, effort, tithe and talent to continuing that blessing. His other quote was that without our being willing to offer sacrifice that comes with a cost, we can not find the joy and peace God is trying to give us. Seems to be a theme that has come up a couple of times (parish mission, Curt, a sermon tape from mom) and in a few ways for me lately.

One was and is just a financial way. At exactly the same time that I have made a commitment to start tithing and getting my financial house back in order--I find that I have been declared as "healthy" again by the insurance company, so no more disability payments. (Thank God I already moved in with my parents!) But at the same time, I suddenly have some other job opportunities open up. So what I thought to be a small sacrifice is becoming a bigger one. But, at the same time, I am finding both joy and peace at the thought of a new job.

No comments: