Saturday, December 5, 2009

Less Ugh...More Ahhh

So the Dr visit on Monday was...interesting and helpful. Interesting in that I got to see again the differences in the Canadian vs. US medical systems firsthand. Helpful in that I got a possible resolution to my problem with the assurance of other options of this one doesn't work. :) The interesting part is that routine Gynacology (pap smears, exams, etc) are done by GPs/Family practice/primary care doctors. So with that in mind...my next full physical...will be a full physical. Everything including gynacology. (Although pap tests are suggested at 2 years at my age/lack of family history instead of every year--the comment Dr. K made when I said it had been 14 months and I needed a new test was "American health care...they just want the money!" Which seems to be the common perception here in Canada. But since nothing has really changed for me...other than a fairly normal (for me) increase in pain levels during my period, no test until my next physical. The cramps have always kind of come and gone, gotten better or worse. And now..it's becoming worse. So as I discussed this with Dr. K., he came up with several possibilities to ending my pain. Some seemed better, some worse. We're starting with a stronger NSAID than the advil I've been using. If this isn't better (or the side effects are too much) we'll try something else.





Until then, I have several things (OK...maybe more than several...like several dozen!) to do.



I have a band concert on Sunday. It's our Christmas concert and I think Pat and a couple of other friends will be coming out to watch. :)



UWH (underwater hockey) is really starting to gear up. I'm the primary organizer (which is funny as until this week...I've never been in snorkeling gear for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time!) And this week...I was in the pool, in full gear and doing drills(!) for more than a hour. Wow...tiring, but satisfying too. Rob (the coach here in my hometown) and James (the organizer in the next town over) were there to give me my first lesson. Two experienced players to one newbie hardly seemed fair, but that's just how it went. Hopefully...the next time we try this it will go better. And have more people!

Better get to my stuff...still have some cleaning to do, as well as decorating a tree, a house and baking...Wow...I've got a busy day ahead!

No comments: