Monday, September 7, 2009

Some good things from my trip

So I promised I'd write a bit about some of the good things from my trip to MN. And there were several.

I went to a Twins game, one of the last 20 in the dome. The Twins won against the Rangers. It was a nice relaxing evening with mom and dad. We had a bit of time before the game and had driven around Minneapolis a bit so I got to see some places that brought back some memories. Most were good ones. As a general rule Curt and I didn't go into Minneapolis together much, just for kind of special occasions. So the memories were mostly good. We did drive past Curt's attorney's office (a place I spent a bit of time as well) and that was hard. But other than that....it was nice.

And since we finished early on Saturday....We went to the State Fair. Mom and dad had never been, so I got to be the one to introduce them to the great MN get-together. :) It was really nice. We pretty much ate our way thru the fair, sampling everything from our favorite pronto pups to grilled shrimp to creme puffs and frozen apple cider. I don't think we had a bad thing that day. And....as a first....I walked away from the fair without having either spent a lot of money on stuff for Curt or feeling guilty about buying something for myself. :) It was nice. Really nice.

It also dawned on me...for the year 1/2 that I stayed with Curt after his incarceration, I felt like I couldn't do fun things. Like concerts or the fair. Because it wasn't fair that Curt couldn't go with me. But it dawned on me this trip. Curt deserves to miss those things for a while. He deserves to be where he is. His actions put him there. Not mine, not a failing of me that caused his actions. It was all him. And I think that maybe the best of the revelations I had this trip.

No comments: