Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My new church

Yep, now that I have some time to write again...I think this may become a more regular thing. :) And once again....my faith seems to be something I'm going to be talking about regularly.

So anyway....while I was still in the US, a fellow choir member had suggested if I ever had the ability (IE either not working or working a job whose hours allowed it) I should go to weekday Mass. So I have. At a church I found here in Canada the last time I visited. And I must admit...I think I've found my church home. :)

The priest here is actually an immigrant too. But he's from much, much further away. He's from Ghana. He has a very different more evangelical style to him. He actively encourages the parish to sing more, become more involved and really think about what conversion means. Yep, I feel at home. :)

So this week, I've been going to weekday Mass. Which is VERY different from weekend Mass. As Fr. JB says..."On weekends, we're Catholic, on weekdays, we're Pentecostal" OK, not really. But instead of a prepared homily, Fr. JB just comes down and asks us what we got from the readings. And we kind of just throw out what is there in our hearts and he follows up with that, giving encouragement and additional verses to look up later. And during the prayers of the faithful.....we can actually just say out our own intentions. So it's really cool. And it's been a nice way to meet a few people from the church. Even if they are old enough to be my grandparents. ;)

Today was the celebration of the feast of the Annunciation. So I guess...it must be 9 months till Christmas. :) It was odd to be singing a song about Christ's birth....when we are so close to celebrating His death and Resurrection. But Fr. JB noted that without the Yes Lord, Here I am, I'm your willing servent of Mary at the Annunciation, there would be no Christmas, no Good Friday, No Easter. At which point he asked....how have you said Yes to God? And if you don't know what he is asking of you...how do you find out? Mary didn't know when she said yes, what she was agreeing to....and neither do we. But God reveals all in His time. And that even little yeses...to singing in choir, teaching CCD or serving on a commitee are still yes answers to God's call. Which is what He calls us to do, just say YES.

Yep, I found my new church home. :)

Oh and I found out today what the JB in Fr. name stands for...it's Jean Baptiste (John the Baptizer).

No comments: